Eligibility for NY ABLE
Eligible individuals can open the account for themselves, or a parent or legal guardian may open one on their behalf. An agent of the eligible individual can also open an account under a power of attorney. The eligible individual is the Account Owner and the Beneficiary.
To qualify for NY ABLE, the eligible individual must be a New York resident.
There are two ways to be considered an eligible individual. Either:
- a disability must be present before age 26, and the individual must be entitled to SSI or Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) because of his or her disability, OR
- a disability must be present before age 26 AND AT LEAST ONE OF THE FOLLOWING requirements must be met:
- The individual has a written diagnosis from a licensed physician documenting a medically determinable physical or mental impairment which results in marked and severe functional limitations, that can be expected to last for at least a year or can cause death, OR
- The individual is classified as blind (as defined in the Social Security Act), OR
- The individual has a disability that is included on the Social Security Administration’s List of Compassionate Allowances Conditions
Proof of eligibility isn’t required to open an account. However, eligible individuals should maintain a benefits verification letter, a record of diagnosis or other relevant documents should they need to prove eligibility at a later time.Eligible individuals are limited to one ABLE account, except in the case of a rollover from another qualified ABLE program. In the case of a rollover to an ABLE account for the same eligible individual, the account from which the funds are withdrawn must be closed within 60 days of withdrawal.
Am I Eligible?
Answer few brief questions to help determine if you are eligible for NY ABLE here.
Call us at 1.855.5NY.ABLE (1.855.569.2253) Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. ET
New York State Relay System: 711 or 800-662-1220
No Guarantee: None of the State of New York, its agencies, Ascensus Investment Advisors, LLC, Ascensus Broker Dealer Services, Inc., nor any of their applicable affiliates insures accounts or guarantees the principal deposited therein or any investment returns on any account or investment option. Except to the extent of Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) insurance provided for the Checking Option, NY ABLE accounts will be subject to investment risks, including loss of the principal amount invested.
Investments are not FDIC-insured (Except for the Checking Option). No Bank, State or Federal Guarantee. May Lose Value.